If your garage window is broken or outright damaged, you are going to need to change it in get to preserve your property safe. Even if it’s just out-of-date, you may possibly benefit from new improvements in window engineering that make home windows more power-productive or durable.
Even though you can contact a skilled to change it for you, it is feasible to preserve that money and do it your self if you have some equipment and a great volume of aged-fashioned elbow grease. Let’s check out out what variety of preparation we need to have to do ahead of we get to the meat of the activity.
Measure & Order New Glass
The 1st thing you are going to require to do is measure what dimension window you have and get a substitution pane. Measure the space within your window body from top to bottom to get your window size, then side-to-aspect for the width. Subtract ⅛” to 1/16” and create these measurements down.
Phone and investigation what residence improvement merchants near you minimize glass to order—Lowe’s can usually do this, but get in touch with to be specified.
Request for tempered or laminated glass, which are each a lot stronger than regular glass panes. Tempered glass is numerous moments more robust than typical glass, and laminated glass has a movie on equally sides that will help lessen shattering when the glass is ruined.
How To Replace A Garage Window | Step-By-Step Guide
Notice: Always put on basic safety goggles and gloves when undertaking property repair perform to safeguard by yourself from debris and other dangers.
1. Remove the glass points holding the glass in the frame, if the pane isn’t shattered. Do this by carefully sliding your putty knife behind the points and carefully loosening it until it comes loose. Do this for all glass points surrounding the window.
2. Use your putty knife to chip away any excess paint and glaze from the window, then lightly sand any residue. If the glaze is too tough, use a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen it. The goal here is to make the frame as close to new as possible so you ensure your new pane fits securely.
3. If your frame is wood, coat it with a clear sealant or paint primer and let dry.
4. Liberally apply the window glazing compound to the inside edges of the window frame. A thin bead of silicone works, or you can press glazing putty in with your thumbs.
5. Carefully lower your windowpane into the groove. Have a friend or family member help if necessary.
6. Press the glass into place lightly to embed it into place. It should rest comfortably within the groove and be secured by the glaze.
7. Place glass points into place every 4 to 6 inches around the window. These are placed flat against the glass.
8. Using the edge of your putty knife, carefully tap the glass points to drive them into the wood frame.
9. Apply more of the glazing compound around the edges of the glass to cover up the glass points and further secure the window.
10. Wait until your window glazing compound dries and sets according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
11. If desired, paint the window with your paint of choice.
Impression Credit: Roseanna Smith, Unsplash
Which Window Glazing Compound Is Best?
There are a number of varieties of glazing compounds you can use to protected your window from drafts and dampness. Historically, glazing putty was used for this task, but nowadays we have other worthy alternatives.
Showcased Impression Credit: bruce mars, Unsplash