Even the most well-trained canine can have the occasional mishap on the floor, carpet, or worst of all—upholstered furniture. We take that incidents can come about, but that does not make it any less annoying when you have to pull puppy pee from the couch.
Absorbent couch cushion material and fundamental foam conveniently suck up dog pee, and its powerful aroma can last for days, weeks, or even several years. Occasionally, it can truly feel like a in no way-ending chore of cleansing and re-cleaning your sofa, only for the smell to inevitably arise once more afterwards.
If you’re prepared to get rid of the stench but not the couch, we’ll demonstrate you how to get canine urine out of sofa cushions with 5 practical remedies.
Before You Begin: Check the Fabric Care Instructions
Before making an attempt these cleaning approaches, you need to verify the treatment instruction tag on your couch. If you have a stationary couch, you can frequently find the care tag on the couch cushion or beneath 1 of the cushions on the sofa’s platform. A reclining sofa will typically have it on the underside of 1 of the reclining footrests.
The couch tag will typically have one particular of 4 cleansing codes for the fabric—W, S, W/S, or X. These codes point out the suitable cleaning technique to prevent hurt.
- W: Water-based cleaner
- S: Solvent-based cleaner (dry-cleaning solution or alcohol)
- W/S: Either water-based or solvent-based cleaner will work
- X: Neither cleaner will work; talk to a professional cleaner
Synthetic supplies this kind of as polyester and nylon usually use h2o-based cleaners, while organic resources like cotton, wool, and linen call for dry-cleansing solvents or expert remedy. Failing to use the right cleaning strategy could cause the fabric to stain, shrink, or warp.
Before You Begin: Soak Up Wet Pee From the Cushion
No matter what type of content you have or the cleansing strategy you prefer, constantly start cleaning canine pee from the sofa by drying as a lot of it as possible.
Clean pee can get some time to soak via the materials and into the foam core underneath. When it does, the process of removing the pee odor turns into far more challenging. Blotting it up as soon as achievable will make cleaning considerably more rapidly and get you some time if you have to operate to the shop for cleansing provides.
Remove Cushion Covers
If you have detachable cushion handles, it’s less difficult to dry and clear them by using them off. You are going to need to have to push into the material to soak up all of the pee, so using the include off and drying it independently will stop liquid from spreading to the foam core underneath.
Use a dry microfiber cloth or paper towels and push as hard as attainable into the material to soak up as much pee as attainable. Lay it down on a piece of cardboard and step down on it to use as much strain as you can.
Alternatively, you can use a wet/dry vac to suck out the urine. Consider this strategy if you have a soaked fabric cushion with no a removable protect.
Right after blotting up as significantly as attainable, use these approaches to clear any lingering pee.
The 5 Ways to Get Dog Pee Smell Out of a Couch
1. Enzymatic Cleaner
Enzyme cleaners are the most effective products for removing wet or dried canine urine from carpet, hardwood, fabric, and a lot more. Uric acid crystals and odor-making squander bond tightly to fabric fibers when they dry, and ordinary drinking water and soap treatments are not ample to dissolve and elevate them. You could mask the smell for a although with fragrance, but it will arrive back ultimately.
An enzyme or bio-enzymatic cleaner introduces enzymes and germs that split down and devour these organic and natural substances, making it possible for them to evaporate harmlessly into the air. Search for merchandise these kinds of as Rocco & Roxie Stain & Odor Eliminator or Nature’s Miracle Innovative Stain and Odor Eliminator. These formulas are safe for use on most fabrics and penetrate deep to dissolve any leftover puppy urine.
Comply with these methods when making use of an enzyme cleaner to eliminate puppy pee from your sofa:
- Spot test the cleaner in a hidden area and let it dry to ensure it won’t damage the fabric.
- Spray the stained area until it is well-saturated.
- Let the cleaner sit for 15–20 minutes. Follow the bottle’s instructions for the exact wait time.
- Dry as much liquid as possible by blotting the spray with a clean, white cloth, which will prevent any color transfer from the cloth to the fabric.
- Allow it to air dry.
It can consider a few days to dry fully, so you may want to include the place to avoid folks or pets from utilizing it. If attainable, place the cushion exterior to air dry in the sunlight, which will support to not only dry it more rapidly but take away odor as effectively.
2. Vinegar and Baking Soda (“W”)
If you do not have an enzyme cleaner, or you favor an all-normal Do-it-yourself concoction, you can leverage the acidity of the vinegar and the odor-neutralizing and absorbent qualities of the baking soda in an efficient cleansing tandem. The acetic acid in vinegar breaks down the urine crystals in the fabric. In the meantime, the baking soda’s alkalinity negates the acidity in the odor to create a pH-balanced, odor-totally free gasoline.
- Fill a spray bottle with ½ distilled white vinegar and ½ warm water. Shake well to mix.
- Spot test the spray on an inconspicuous area and allow it to dry.
- Spray the stain liberally with the solution.
- Work the spray into the fabric with a clean cloth or soft-bristled brush, moving from the outer edge to the center of the stain to prevent it from spreading.
- Pour enough baking soda on the stain to cover it completely.
- Let the baking soda sit for several hours or overnight to absorb the moisture.
- Use a shop vac to vacuum the baking soda when the cushion is dry.
You can also add a few drops of fragrant important oils to the baking soda. It does not influence the performance of the vinegar or baking soda, but it can give off a short-term nice scent to mask the scent of urine or vinegar as it cleans.
You could see the fabric fizz a little when the baking soda hits the vinegar spray. Fizzing is standard, and it aids carry particles from the material, creating it simpler to clean.
3. Vinegar and Dish Soap (“W”)
Vinegar and dish soap can make another beneficial combination for removing canine urine, with the acetic acid breaking down urine compounds and the dish liquid lifting them absent.
- Mix 2 cups of cold water, 1 tablespoon of dish liquid, and 1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar in a spray bottle. Shake gently to mix.
- Spot test on an inconspicuous area and allow it to dry.
- Spray the cleaner on the stain until it is well-saturated.
- Work the cleaner into the fabric with a clean, white cloth or soft-bristled brush. Start at the outer edge and work toward the center of the stain.
- Rinse the sudsy cleaner with a clean, damp cloth. You may need to go over it several times to remove all of the soap.
- Blot up as much moisture as possible with a clean rag or paper towels. Allow the fabric to air dry in the sun if you can.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide, Baking Soda, and Dish Soap (“W”)
If you are working with an aged, dried dog pee stain on your couch, you can try out hydrogen peroxide and dish cleaning soap to take away it.
- Mix ½ cup hydrogen peroxide, 1 ½ tablespoons of baking soda, and 1–2 drops of mild dish soap in a spray bottle with the top off. The solution will fizz and settle as the baking soda dissolves.
- Spot test the solution in an inconspicuous area and allow it to dry.
- Spray the stain until it is well-saturated.
- Let the solution sit for at least 1 hour on the stain. The stain should fade as it dries.
- Repeat steps 3–4 if the stain is not gone after the first attempt.
- When the stain is gone, rinse the area with a damp cloth.
5. Alcohol (“S” Cleaning Code)
Water-based options like the aforementioned Do it yourself cleaners will work on most sofa materials. But if you have an “S” cleaning code on your household furniture, you will require to vacation resort to dry-cleaning chemical substances or alcohol to avert damage.
Comply with these steps to clear dog urine with alcohol:
- Fill a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol or plain vodka.
- Spot test the spray in an inconspicuous area and allow it to dry.
- Spray the stain with the alcohol until it is well-saturated.
- Work the alcohol into the spot with a clean, white cloth or soft-bristled brush, moving from the outer edge to the center of the stain.
- Blot the alcohol up with a cloth and allow it to air out until it is completely dry.
Can You Wash the Cushion Foam Cores?
Getting rid of the couch cushion cover is the greatest way to get rid of pet urine since it will maintain the batting and foam core dry and urine-free throughout the cleansing approach. But if the urine has been sitting down for a whilst, it may have sunk via the fabric. Even if you get it out of the cover, the scent can nonetheless permeate from the foam and fill up the area.
To take away canine pee from the cushion core, just take off the cover and stick to these cleansing measures:
- Place the cushion core in your bathtub.
- Fill the tub with water until the cushion is soaked. Make sure the polyester fiber batting and foam layers do not separate or shift while you clean.
- Add mild dish liquid to the tub and work it into the foam core. Use your hands to press and work the sudsy mixture deep into the foam.
- Drain the tub and rinse the soap from the foam and polyester batting. Rinse and squeeze the foam repeatedly until you remove all of the soap.
- Use a clean towel to pat the foam core dry. Squeeze hard to force out as much water as possible.
- Put the foam core outside and let it air dry in the sun. If you can’t put it outside, lean it on an open back chair with a towel underneath it, open the windows, and turn on a fan to circulate the air.
For more odor-killing power, you can also try spraying and soaking the foam main with white vinegar just before washing it. The vinegar can help crack down the urine, and as it evaporates, its scent will dissipate.
Whether or not your dog experienced an accident or not, you should clear your sofa at minimum as soon as a calendar year. Typical treatment will maintain your upholstery seeking clean and vibrant, and it will avoid increasing levels of dust from seeping into the cushion core. That is critical if you want to preserve your foam from donning down prematurely.
An annual deep thoroughly clean can do wonders for your sofa, but when your pet has an regrettable incident, regular soap and h2o will not be sufficient to undo the harm. Spend focus to your sofa’s treatment recommendations and stick to these five sensible ideas on how to get dog urine out of sofa cushions, and you’ll preserve your couch in pristine problem for the prolonged expression!
You may well also be fascinated in: 6 Methods to Neutralize Dog Urine Odors (with Photographs)
Featured Impression Credit: LightField Studios, Shutterstock