Sound brick partitions and brick veneer partitions are two types of structural walls used in the constructing of properties and other properties. Bricks are sturdy, appear desirable, and safeguard in opposition to the aspects. They have been utilized for almost ten,000 many years, though early bricks have been made from a lot more fundamental materials and utilised less complicated drying techniques.
Typically, brick properties had been created employing solid brick partitions. These partitions have two layers, or wythes, of brick which offer structural support for the building and also offer the aesthetic benefits of an desirable brick end.
A brick veneer wall uses yet another material to give structural stability—typically, a concrete or timber frame. It has a solitary external layer of bricks utilised as siding for its visual charm. Brick veneer is frequently utilised in modern day building simply because it is significantly less high-priced and offers greater insulation chances compared to a reliable brick composition.
Read through on for a lot more data on the differences amongst these two styles of walls.
Reliable brick walls have two levels of brick, usually created towards one one more, although some walls may use two or much more levels. To save money, the internal layer of brick could be changed with cinder blocks or yet another considerably less costly design content, but the design stays the very same and is nonetheless referred to as a solid brick wall. There is extremely small or no space amongst the levels of brick.
Advantages of Brick
- Unlike constructions that include timber, solid brick walls are insect-proof, so they won’t suffer termite damage.
- Brick doesn’t decay like wood, which makes it an ideal choice of material when constructing in and on the ground.
- Very little maintenance is required to ensure the strength and longevity of a solid brick wall construction. The brick doesn’t need to be painted or treated.
Disadvantages of Brick
- Solid brick walls are not a good choice if additional insulation is required and if the brick itself is a poor insulator.
- The cost of the wall itself is higher with a brick wall construction compared to a brick veneer finish, although this may be offset by the fact that there are no additional insulation or filling costs.
A brick veneer wall employs some other material or body as a base layer and has a single layer of bricks on the exterior of the wall. The bricks act as a siding. They do provide some protection for the body underneath and give the visual attractiveness of a brick finish. Brick veneer was popularized in the early twentyth century as a more inexpensive different to sound brick building.
Advantages of Brick Veneer
- Because it only uses a single layer of brickwork, a veneer finish is easier to install. It can also be installed later in the build, even once the build has been finished.
- The gap between the brick veneer and the timber or metal frame keeps moisture out. It can also be filled with insulation material to provide thermal insulation.
- The cost of the wall itself is much cheaper with brick veneer than solid brick. However, if you add insulation, the costs add up.
- Veneer still offers the same attractive and popular brick finish as a solid brick wall.
Disadvantages Of Brick Veneer
- Brick veneer is a single layer of brick rather than two or three layers, which means that it is not as durable or tough.
Brick Veneer vs. Brick Costs
Brick veneer became common simply because it is cheaper than solid brick wall development. Fees differ according to the place you reside, the good quality of the craftsman, and even the selection of brick. Nonetheless, count on to pay out $20–$50 for every sq. foot for the resources and design of a solid brick wall.
Brick veneer expenses between $5–$fifteen per sq. foot since it doesn’t usually require a mason.
What Is Brick Veneer Made Of?
Brick veneer is made up of a one layer of bricks laid over a timber or steel frame. It makes use of the same sort of bricks as a strong brick wall, but much less of them.
How Long Does Brick Veneer Last?
Brick walls have a lifespan of 500 several years or more, even though they will normally very last 200 many years, even though brick veneer walls can very last from 50–100 a long time. What you determine to go with is in the end up to your needs and choices. Ideally, this write-up aided you recognize what brick veneer is and how it differs from genuine brick.
Highlighted Image Credit: cnikola, Shutterstock